Translate

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Advanced Watercolor Using Gouache

Hi friends! 
I hope you are having a weekend that is relaxing and filled with happy days. 

We've spent lots of time boating this week on the lake, the weather has  been so perfect! Hard to believe I could be out in short sleeves and cropped pants in November, even in NC. 

In my craft room, it's still December as I've been focused on Christmas cards and techniques from my participation in the recent Online Card Class, there's still a list in my head of cards I want to make inspired by the lessons. 

I was so amazed with the Advanced Watercolor lesson we had that I ordered supplies to make the gorgeous cards that Dawn Woleslagle presented. This is my first time using gouache watercolors, they are opaque colors  and can be used over dark card stock.

I began with stamping on kraft card stock to get the feel for the gouache paints. The main flower is from the  Perfect Poinsettia stamps by Gina K. It was larger and I thought that made it easy to practice on. 

Using very little water enables these inks to dry quickly and be layered with color for highlights and shading.



This is my second practice piece, the first one was trashed but I am pleased with how the coloring turned out on this one, so I finished it into a card. 



I know someone will like receiving it, even if I'm still in a big learning curve with this skill. 

Thanks to you for coming by to visit today and encouraging me in this adventure of loving my stamps, paper and ink. And die cuts. Definitely die cuts!


Be yourself
     Delight in your craft 
        Make something beautiful!





 

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

you should definitely be pleased with your card... it is absolutely gorgeous!! (yep... we have rain and snow!)

Leslie Miller said...

Your painting is a beautiful sample and encouraging to those of us who have been curious about gouache paints. I love how opaque they are and how the white can be used over colors. You did a fabulous job with this. I can't help but really, really love the white/green flower especially. Looking forward to seeing you Coffee Please card if you're of a mind to share it.